Breakaway Public Relations is an Austin-based boutique public relations firm that builds awareness and reputation for a wide range of consumer categories, with a focus on travel/tourism, hospitality, food/beverage, sustainability, fashion, beauty, nonprofits, and arts and architecture. Expect to work on a variety of accounts, participate in campaigns and see the results from all of your efforts!
To be considered for this position, a candidate must:
- Be currently enrolled in a college, and pursuing a communications-related major: Public Relations, Journalism, Mass Communications, Advertising, Marketing, etc.
- Work 2-3 days per week (approx 10-12 hrs/week) in office. The internship is unpaid but can be offered for course credit; Breakaway will cover all related hard costs.
- Work in office and on occasion, remotely; attend weekly meetings in person at our location on South First
- Be available to attend client events
- Have at least one prior internship
- Junior/Senior level preferred
Dates: May until August 2022 and beyond if candidate is invited to extend. If invited to extend their internship, interns will be compensated on an hourly rate to be determined.
Internship responsibilities may include, but are not limited to:
- Assisting in drafting and/or editing press materials including calendar listings, press releases, pitches and more
- Media relations
- Website content management
- Social media management and trend tracking
- Basic graphic design support
- Event coordination including guest check-in, assisting photographers and more
- Reporting, including monthly and wrap reports as well as media monitoring & clipping of coverage
- Market research
- Online database management including updating media lists and organizing images
Ideal job skills:
- Interest in consumer and non-profit PR including travel, hospitality, fashion, beauty, nonprofits, arts and more
- Strong written and verbal communication skills including knowledge of AP Style
- Proficiency or experience in social media management on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, LinkedIn, etc. (research/follow local businesses/individuals, regular posts to drive engagement, measurement and managing promotions/giveaways)
- Meticulous attention to detail — punctuation, spelling, grammar and content formatting
- Graphic design capabilities (InDesign, Photoshop, Canva)
- Video and/or photography skills
- Takes ownership of new initiatives, eager to learn
- Works well with a team
- Highly organized, multi-tasking capabilities
Qualified applicants should send their resume, cover letter and writing sample by April 15, 2022 to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include personal Instagram and/or LinkedIn handles.
Connect with us on social media!
Facebook Page: facebook.com/breakawaypr