Breakaway Public Relations is an Austin-based boutique public relations firm that builds awareness and reputation for a wide range of consumer categories, with a focus on travel and tourism, sustainability, nonprofits, health/wellness and arts and architecture. Expect to work on a variety of accounts, participate in campaigns and see the results from all of your efforts!
To be considered for this position, a candidate must:
- Be currently enrolled in a college, and pursuing a communications-related major: Public Relations, Journalism, Mass Communications, Advertising, Marketing, etc. or recent graduate
- Work 2-3 days per week (approx 10-12 hrs/week) in office. The internship is unpaid but can be offered for course credit; Breakaway will cover all related hard costs.
- Work in office and on occasion, remotly; attend weekly meetings in person at our South First location
- Be available to attend client events
- Have at least one prior internship
- Junior/Senior level preferred
Dates: Mid-May until September 2020 and beyond if candidate is invited to extend
Internship responsibilities may include, but are not limited to:
- Assisting in drafting and/or editing press materials including calendar listings, press releases, pitches and more
- Media relations
- Website content management
- Social media management and trend tracking
- Basic graphic design support
- Event coordination including guest check-in, assisting photographers and more
- Reporting including monthly and wrap reports as well as media monitoring & clipping of coverage
- Market research
- Online database management including updating media lists and organizing images
Ideal job skills:
- Interest in consumer and non-profit PR including travel, hospitality, fashion, beauty, nonprofits, arts and more
- Strong written and verbal communication skills including knowledge of AP Style
- Proficiency or experience in social media management on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, LinkedIn, etc., (research/follow local businesses/individuals, regular posts to drive engagement, measurement and managing promotions/giveaways)
- Meticulous attention to detail — punctuation, spelling and grammar and content formatting
- Graphic design capabilities (InDesign, Photoshop, Canva)
- Video and/or photography skills
- Takes ownership of new initiatives, eager to learn
- Works well with a team
- Highly organized, multi-tasking capabilities
Qualified applicants should send their resume, cover letter and writing sample by Monday, April 20, 2020 to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include personal Instagram and/or LinkedIn handles.
Connect with us on social media!
Facebook Page: @breakawaypr